Saturday, June 1, 2013

What's new with the "B's"...

The school year is quickly coming to an end, but so is my time as my nephew's caregiver. End of June he will go back to live with his father. Its' very bitter sweet to have him leaving us, in so many ways he has become one of  my boys. We have accomplished so much in the time he has been with me and he has definitely challenged me while here. We're all going to miss him terribly even though we'll still get to visit with him, but it won't be the same. I'm going to miss taking him to his physical and occupational therapy, where we've made so many friends whom have been an encouragement and a support system. I won't miss having to drag him to so many doctor appointments and tests; hopefully they'll be a thing of the past now that we've got the ball rolling in the right direction. I'll miss the cuddles he gives spontaneously throughout the day and having him tell me he missed me every time I reenter a room. He has grown so much during his stay with us and learned so many things. It amazes me how much more independent he is compared to when he first got here. It's going to feel weird for awhile carting around only 3 kids, tucking in only 3 kids, and making lunches for only 3 kids. To not have to always be reading labels to make sure things are gluten free and/or make alternative meals that are similar to our meals but are gluten free. I am however looking forward to devoting more of my time and energy to my little family. Everyone kind of got pushed toward the back burner until we could get Matthew his diagnosis and the help he needed. There was some resentment from that and I'm still working on correcting the friction that was caused. So much of my attention was on getting Matthew set up with should have been in place since he was 2 years old, that I missed my own boys straying off course.
We will be busy enough this summer and up coming fall to distract from the fact that we are once again a family of four. A lot of focusing on my boys and spending a lot of family time together. I have signed on with The Happy Family Movement and we have a "Summer Bucket List" of 101 activities (and counting) to tackle. I'm also doing a 30 day challenge through The Orange Rhino to yell less, love more. I'm finishing up a 30 day Beach Body challenge and will be participating in another one with Crystal during June.
This fall my boys will be attending their first ever public school, if everything goes according to the plan. This is my first time with school of choice, and I guess you have to wait to hear if they'll have room for you. We have had a very trying year at the charter school they have attended, along with many things at the school that I have issues with (and don't see changes coming any time soon). Even though they are sad about leaving their friends (and the basketball coach) , they are very excited about no uniform, making new friends, and starting a new adventure (and for my oldest the shear variety of sports).
I will keep everyone updated as much as I can about how Matthew is doing and adjusting to his new living arrangement. Soon I should be able to share our progress with our "Summer Bucket List". Although summer hasn't officially started for us yet, the boys were excited to get started on their list and have already completed one item :)
~Julie

Post from 6/1/13

No comments:

Post a Comment