Friday, September 27, 2013

Here's Your Sign!!

Would you hand your friend a sign that states "I received a ticket for speeding" and post a picture to share with the world? Would you stand on a street corner holding a sign announcing any mistake you have made. Probably not, it's degrading and embarrassing; plus who wants their mistakes made public. Then why do people feel it is okay to do to a child?
abc quandria bryant jt 120429 wblog Disrespectful Teen Made to Carry Sign Along Busy Road
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/04/disrespectful-teen-made-to-carry-sign-along-busy-road/

I really try not to be judgmental or comment on how other people raise their children. BUT... I'm really having a hard time understanding why so many parents think it's okay to hand their child a sign stating their "crime" and posting a picture of it on social media or having them stand in public with it. I know there are as many parenting styles as there are parents and try to understand their approach even if I don't agree with it. This one really has me stumped though. I don't see how having a preteen/teenager holding a sign stating "I have a bad attitude and am disrespectful to my mother" is going to teach them not to back talk to a parent. I see it and think, she was disrespectful to her mother so her mother is being disrespectful to her; is that what I was suppose to take away from that? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that about the age when kids start voicing their independence.

I just don't see how this method will help teach the children to stop the unwanted behavior. There has to be a less demeaning way to teach your child not to throw food (or clean up after themselves). Most of these pictures have gone viral and will be out for the world to find for years to come. I'm sure these children don't want there mistakes splashed all over the internet.

I'm sure this method will stick with the children; not because they learned a lesson from the experience, but because they'll remember the embarrassment of standing on the street with a sign while the parents took a picture to show the world their bad choice.
http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/PHOTOS-The-New-Parenting-Technique-of-Kid-Shaming-Seems-to-be-Taking-Off-185590841.html?gallery=y&c=y&img=5











What are your views on the style of discipline? Would you publicly shame your child like this, if so what would be the result you hoped to reach?


No comments:

Post a Comment