Tuesday, January 6, 2015

This Single Didn't Get to Mingle Much

A two week break from school was just enough time for us to get use to sleeping in. We are very slowly readjusting to early wake ups. I'm not back to my routine of being productive in the mornings, today was to be laundry and shopping day. After sorting, washing, folding, and putting away 14 loads of laundry, I'm beat. I'm going to relax and write a blog instead of shopping, looks like pizza for dinner tonight.

Here is how I spent my New Year's Eve

I had mentioned not being with my boys on New Year's Eve to discuss their resolutions. Actually I brought in the new year with a couple friends and about 75 strangers. Oh yeah, we were in a church too. My friend mentioned a Single's New Year Eve event at a church about a half hour away. I don't remember how she talked me into going, but I said I'd go. I've never took part of any kind of singles event, so I was kind of excited to give it a try. On the other hand, I had always brought in the new year with my kiddos. My boys were all for me going out and meeting new people. Honestly, I think they had high expectations of this one night out. A few times I got the impression that they thought I would met the man of my dreams, fall head over heels, and "POOF!" they'd have a dad. Even after expressing that I highly doubted that I would find someone to add to our family, they were glad I was going out for the evening. Grandma had agreed to come out and watch my boys. Grandma also loaned me a dress and sweater for the evening and help me find a nice pair of boot. Also just before I walked out the door Grandma also lent me her purse.

So, it was New Year's Eve day, the boys were excited that Grandma was coming out to stay the night. She had some fun things planned to do with the boys. I was nervous all day long. I really wanted to back out and just relax in my jammies with my kiddos all night eating junk food.

I didn't back out. I got all dressed up, which felt nice because let's face it I don't get many opportunities to wear a dress while hanging with my kids. I guess I could just walk around the house dressed to the nines, but that might worry my kids some :) So there I am all dressed to go, my friend is looking stunning in her dress, after a couple pictures we get ready to leave. That's when my mom notices my purse. The same purse I use day in and day out. I don't think about things like 'does my purse match me outfit' most of the time I'm making sure I have all my kids as we walk out the door; if I have a purse and everyone is wearing a coat that's a bonus :) So Grandma to the rescue, she swapped purses with me, because her's in black (which goes with everything).

My friend and I get to the church that is hosting the event. We pulled up 5 minutes before the doors were to open. The parking lot was pretty bare for a place that was suppose to be having a New Year's Eve party. While we were debating rather we should look for another entrance or check this place, another friend pulls in. This must be the place.

The 3 of us check in and find a table. There were a few people here or there but not as many as you would expect to find (later I learned that the final head count was 80 people). After chatting amongst ourselves another member from a singles group I'm part of arrived and joined our table. Soon so did 3 gentlemen we had never met. They seemed nice enough, 2 were talkative, the other looked uncomfortable in his own skin. (None of them were my type) We had a wonderful dinner that was catered by someone I know to be absolutely brilliant in a kitchen. We had two choices for dessert (catered by someone else) and were to take only one, a cheesecake (which I heard was wonderful) and a chocolate (maybe chocolate-raspberry) cake. The cheesecake was gone before I realized the desserts were out, so I took chocolate cake. It looked delicious! However it was way to dry to eat (even some of the guys at our table didn't eat their's either).

We were given time to mingle amongst ourselves. Well, everyone else did. I didn't even get a chance to get out of my chair and a gentleman sat next to me to talk. He kind of creeped me out right away. He had asked if I had kids, after I said I had 3 boys he sat up a bit in his chair. I'm always on high alert when meeting guys and especially when they seem interested in the fact that I have young children. I talked to him for a bit to be nice figuring he'd soon move on to someone else. He also had 3 kids, his youngest is only 7 years younger that I am! He tried to get me to believe he was 50, he looked older than 50. My friend referenced that he looked like Father Mulchay from the show M*A*S*H (after I Googled who that was, I have to agree) I tried to be polite while keeping my answers short and hoping he's get the hint that I really wasn't interested. I even mentioned a couple times that I want to walk around a bit and visit, but I guess he didn't pick up on that. Thankfully they announced it was time for the group activity and he returned to his table.

I was looking forward to the group activity although I had no idea what it would be. I thought it would be a good way to get up and mingle with everyone. Nope. Every table was a team (I already knew or met everyone at my table), the activity was pretty much "name that tune". I'm grateful for the people on my team, because I couldn't tell one song from the next. We were sung 4 or 5 notes and had to figure out the song. My awesome team was great and we made it to the semifinal round.

After the game we were again given time to mingle. The guy from before wasted no time coming to find me. He hung around talking to me for at what seemed like a very long time. I tried to listen to what he was saying at the same time as kick the chair of my friend who was sitting near where I was standing. I wasn't interested in this guy and really wanted to visit with people, any people. Luck was finally on my side and someone came to take a group shot and I excused myself to get into the picture and told my friend to "SAVE ME". She hadn't felt me feeble attempts of nonchalantly kicking her chair.  She did rescue me and we took a walk. She hadn't been sure if I needed rescuing or not I did kind of look like I wanted out of the conversation though. After our walk, we were head back to our table and the same guy started towards or table again. My friend quickly got me out of there. It seemed like a good time to call and check in on my kids. As I was heading outside that same guys came rushing towards us worried that I was leaving already. I told him I was just going for a smoke in hopes that maybe he's be repulsed by the fact that I smoke. Once back at our table, our other friends informed us that after we had walked the door, that guy basically ran to the doors to follow us.

He did find me one more time, to tell me that  he was leaving and wanted to give me a candy bar and his phone number. I could not believe this guy. I had in no way indicated that I want to talk to him, let alone wanted his phone number. Finally he left, just before we started the worship portion of our evening. I wanted to refill my drink but waited to make sure he was really gone and I wasn't going to get ambushed again. After about 10 minutes I went to refill my pop. I was talking to a lady about how guys always put the caps on too tight on the pop and who should I hear offer their assistance, yep he was back. He knew there had been a reason for him to grab a coffee before he left. UGH!! I quickly returned to my seat and prayed that he would actually leave after getting his coffee. He did.

Worship was nice. I knew some of the songs, but this church played them much slower than I was use to. Slow worship songs after eleven at night can made you pretty sleepy. The people who attend the hosting church were all into their praise at a slower pace though. Then we had communion. They had these "self-serve" communion things. Our table had more trouble with them then we should have Maybe it was lack of sleep, but they seemed very complicated at the time. You peel back the thin purple layer for the host and then peel back the other layer for your grape juice. I took a picture of one of the "self-serve" communion cups, because I have never seen anything like them before.

After communion everyone grabbed their noise makers and adorned a party hat and counted down for the new year. After hugs with friends I went out into the hallway to call my boys. When I came back there was a string of people holding hands dancing around the room. That was the first time it felt like a party to me. There was pizza for a midnight snack. After some time visiting we headed home.

Even though I had no clue what to expect from the evening, it was not what I expected it to be. I had so much fun with the ladies I was there with, but I don't think I'll be attending again next year :)